|Position Title||Communications Specialist|
|Department||Marketing & Communications|
|Supervisor Title||Editorial Director|
|Status||Full Time Regular|
The Communications Specialist is a key member of the Office of Marketing and Communications team, contributing thoughtful, well-written and engaging content for print, web and social media communications platforms. The communications specialist will generate short-form and long-form content that supports institutional strategies, branding, reputation, student recruitment, alumni engagement/fundraising, academic programming, promotional campaigns and media relations initiatives. In addition, the communications specialist will enhance awareness of the accomplishments and strengths of the College’s faculty, staff, students and alumni.
|Description of Key Responsibilities||
1. Researches and produces integrated, creative content for all platforms, ensuring the College’s website, print publications and other outlets engage “digital natives’ and other key constituencies with relevant and timely news, information and features that reflect the College’s key message, brand and strategic initiatives.
2. Develops content ideas that are gathered from campus engagement with faculty, staff, students and attendance at events. Participates in content strategy discussions and applies strategic thinking to complex assignments that may involve long-form and short-form copy, infographics and other visual communication tools.
3. Contributes content for the College’s social media platforms. In collaboration with editorial and communication teams, generates ideas for Facebook, Twitter and Instagram posts designed to engage students, alumni and other members of the College community.
4. Supports alumni engagement and communication by collecting and creatively disseminating news about College alumni.
5. Creates pitches and news releases for local, regional and national media outlets. Partners with editorial, communication and public relations staff to identify newsworthy, compelling stories and op-eds.
6. Completes writing assignments that include but are not limited to presentations, community correspondence, thank you letters, brochures and marketing collateral.
7. Assists with gathering photos for content platforms by suggesting opportunities and working directly with photographers to obtain appropriate images. Knowledge of digital camera and photo skills a plus.
8. Seeks out and participates in professional development training, such as through the Council for Advancement and Support of Education and Public Relations Society of America.
9. Works well as part of the marketing and communications team; is creative, dependable and resourceful, and can succeed in a fast-paced, highly collaborative environment.
|Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities||
Customer service is critical to the success of any organization that deals with customers. Strong customer service skills can build retention and visibility as North Central College strives to distinguish itself from its competitors. An individual in this position must possess the proficiency, wherewithal and knowledge of principles and processes for providing high-quality customer and personal services to both internal and external customers of the College.
1. Proven experience in creative content for print and digital platforms. Possess excellent writing and editing skills and editorial judgment. Creative thinker.
2. Proofreading skills, with attention to detail, grammar and style.
3. Ability to build relationships across the College.
4. Ability to handle multiple assignments and meet deadlines.
5. Ability to work independently.
6. Communication, organization, project management skills; highly detailed.
7. Ability to collaborate with members of the Office of Marketing and Communications team.
8. Understand graphic design process and print production.
9. Knowledge of Microsoft Suite and Flickr.
10. Knowledge of photography and video production preferred.
11. Experience in higher education a plus.
The Communications Specialist will craft engaging, error-proof content for a variety of print and digital platforms, meet fast-paced deadlines and collaborate with constituencies across campus; and have the curiosity and a “nose for news” required for searching out engaging content that supports strategic institutional initiatives.
A Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Communications or related field is
Internship and/or one to three years of experience desired. Excellent writing, spelling and grammatical skills are essential.
|Licenses or Certifications|
|Is This a Temporary Position?||No|
An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of the College’s background screening process.
|Number of Vacancies||1|
Posting Detail Information
North Central College is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to increasing the diversity of our workforce. NCC provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please notify the Office of Human Resources. Determinations for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
|Open Until Filled||Yes|
|Special Instructions to Applicant|
Posting Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter/Letter of Interest